Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Ten Fun Staycation Ideas



Hi there! Assistant Director Kaitlynn here, I just got back to the office after a wonderful Staycation here in Gallia County! The plan for my vaca was to relax and watch all the movies and TV I had been adding to my list. However, my problem is that I get antsy if I sit too long so I grabbed my friends and hit up some of my favorite Gallia spots. Check out a few of my favorite staycation/vacation ideas and a couple that I have in mind for my next staycation.

1. Take a Class


BoardRoom46
I always love to learn something new or create something while on vacation.  If you like to paint, check out BoardRoom46 to create a sign perfect for your home or visit the Artisan Shoppe & Studio to learn how to make stainless glass art, learn to knit, blacksmithing, and more! Both BoardRoom46 and the Artisan Shoppe & Studio are kid friendly and can coordinate private classes. And if you're feeling bendy try yoga at the Bossard Memorial Library.

2. Downtown Shopping


Lucky Cat & Potted Edge
Serendipitous Creations
 Downtown Gallipolis has the CUTEST and most UNIQUE stores. Great antique and furniture stores, clothing boutiques, and specialty shops! My friend and I hit up just about all of them starting with The Homeplace Mercantile where we found everything from home decor to antique jewelry. We hopped over to Court Street and it was my first time visiting Serendipitous Creations (right photo). They sort their clothes by size and I found a beautiful vintage scarf! Be sure to check out these other great shops when you're in downtown Gallipolis!



3. Farmers Market



The Raised Around Rio Farmer & Artisan Market is held in the village of Rio Grande every Wednesday and Saturday along College Avenue. I love to get fresh produce, goat milk soap, fresh bread, cheese and it's a great place for special gifts from handmade jewelry to aprons, bags, and more! I also love to grab dinner at the market with their various food vendors that change week to week.

4. Trail Walks


Whether you are trying to be healthy or just want to enjoy nature, Gallia County has several trails to choose from. The Holzer Hike and Bike Trail is perfect for an easy stroll or ride. Click here for a full trail listing.

5. Art Galleries
Artisan Shoppe & Studio Gallery Show
I love exploring art galleries. I never know what I might see that could stir up some creative ideas. The French Art Colony and The Artisan Shoppe and Studio each have galleries throughout the year.

6. Drive the Serpent Bones
Sarah Guthrie, creator of the Serpent Bones

One of my favorite summer pastimes is just jumping in the car and taking a drive in the country. The Serpent Bones is a trail designed with two-wheel enthusiasts in mind but four-wheels do just fine. There are several routes that run through Gallia County and into neighboring communities.

7. Take the Passport Challenge















Do you like to win prizes? Of course, you do. The Passport Challenge is the GCCVB's summer program where participants visit specific locations get their special passport sheet stamped or take a selfie as proof. From local shops, to historically significant spots the locations on the Passport Challenge are a fun way to explore Gallia! Download yours here!

8. Visit a Vineyard

Want to kick back and relax with a locally crafted wine? Gallia County has two lovely wineries, Merry Family Winery and Twisted Vine Family Vineyard. Follow them on social media to be sure to catch their special events including live music, painting classes and more!

9. Kayak and Canoe Tours

This one is at the top of my list for my next staycation. Raccoon Creek Paddles and Oars located in Rio Grande offer several options for Kayak and Canoe tours. If you don't own a Kayak or Canoe, no worries you are able to rent them! I definitely want to try Kayaking!

10. Eat ALL of the Food
When I go on vacation I like to be served dinner and last week I hit up several of my favorite Tuscany Cuccini, McClure's Family Restaurant, Bob Evans, to name a few. Because what good is a vacation without good food? And of course, don't forget dessert at Sprinkle & Pop!

For more staycation/vacation ideas, explore our website at visitgallia.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten Fun Staycation Ideas

Hi there! Assistant Director Kaitlynn here, I just got back to the office after a wonderful Staycation here in Gallia County! The plan f...