Friday, August 12, 2016

What is a typical day at GCCVB?

10th photo I took....

I have been involved with the Gallia County Convention and Visitors Bureau off and on for the past 5ish years and now I am the Assistant Director here! Now that I have been here for a solid 3 months I thought I would share a "typical day" and what that means is every single day is different here, so I will use a more generalized description.

8:00 a.m. : Arrive at the CVB which is at 441 Second Ave, Gallipolis, Ohio (across from the Post Office)

8:05 a.m. : Sit at desk with coffee/tea/beverage of choice and read the Gallipolis Daily Tribune. It is important to be up to date on all happenings! Then it is time to jump into my email as well as reply to any social media questions we may have received.

8:45 a.m. : Create a to-do list or review any tasks that need to be done from the previous day

9:00 -11:59 a.m. : This time of day I could be working on a number of projects here is a list of potential projects.
  • Gallia County BBQ Festival (See previous article for more details!)
    • Advertizing for more teams or community organizations to set up
    • Creating Flyers
  •  Promoting the GCCVB Passport Challenge via Social Media or other forms of marketing.
    • Setting up at the Bossard Library
  • Editing the Word on the Street Web Series
  • Preparing reports to present at our Board meetings
  • This is also the time when we have our weekly staff meetings on Friday to discuss upcoming events to ensure everyone is on the same page.
  • And more...
12:00-1:00 p.m. : Lunch  :D

Now here is where things often get blurry; our schedules are always changing with events we may not be in the office but attending an event to promote Gallia County or to support an event in Gallia.  

1:00 - 2:59 p.m. : Amanda and I tend have brain storming sessions around this time. We discuss ideas for future events such as the AAA Great Vacations Travel Expo which is in February of 2017. After said discussions we return to our individual desks and do research on what we talked about.

3:00-4:45 p.m. : I will be honest, I am usually pretty useless between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. Not to say I'm not doing my job I am just less productive than I am in the morning. I tend to get my second wind by 4:00 p.m.. However here is another list of what I might be doing.

  • Updating our blog (it is currently 3:25 p.m., right on schedule)
  • Updating my project dry erase board. This lists all of my current projects and what needs done with them.
  • Sharing events via social media. I always try to find events that others are hosting and share them with our wider audience.
  • Returning to projects that were driving me crazy from the morning and attempting to fix what wasn't working for me then.
  • Prepping for an event
  •  Snacks....
4:45-5:00 p.m. : Now is the time that I generally like to make a list of tasks I would like to accomplish the next day or reminders.

My day is constantly cut in by visitors calling or stopping in asking for information. As well as responding to emails and snack time. Not to mention conversations with my co-workers for advice, ideas, help and venting about the printer being stupid again. Not every day runs smoothly or perfect, but we are here because we love Gallia County and the many things it offers. I am so happy to be in a position where I get to be creative and share my love of tourism!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten Fun Staycation Ideas

Hi there! Assistant Director Kaitlynn here, I just got back to the office after a wonderful Staycation here in Gallia County! The plan f...